I think you will love this healthier take on an old and not-so-healthy fave.
So simple, and super delicious, plus has the ever important Tick of the Teenager Approval.
Let me introduce you to :
- it's grain free
- a natural by-product of coconut milk production
- after the milk is pressed from the coconut meat, the meat is then dried and ground until it becomes soft and powdery suitable for baking
- gluten-free and protein and fibre rich
- contains lauric acid, a saturated fat said to support thyroid function and the immune system
- contains manganese which is great for bone health, nervous system function, and minimises fluctuations in blood sugar levels. coconut flour is extraordinarily absorbent
- For every 1C of grain based flour, you only need 1/4 - 1/3 Cup of coconut flour, and you will also need to use extra eggs and a liquid. Seasoned bakers using this flour, recommend using a tested recipe rather than experimentation - fewer disasters and less expensive!!
Banana Bread with coconut and Chia Seeds
4-5 bananas ( around 400g)
4 fresh pitted dates ( or dried dates soaked for 10 minutes in hot water)
2 tspns vanilla
1/4C macadamia nut oil
1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
2 tspns baking powder
1/2 C coconut flour
1/4C chia seeds
Preheat your oven to 150 C. (fan forced) 170 C ( no fan)
Combine banana, eggs, dates, oil, cinnamon, vanilla, and baking powder in a food processor and blend until creamy
This can be done by hand, but make sure you squish the dates down and mix well, or exchange 1 tblpsn of maple syrup for the dates)
Add the coconut flour and chia seeds and mix through.
Rest for 10 minutes to allow the chia and coconut flour to expand.
Lightly oil one loaf tin and then line with baking paper – The size I used was: 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long.
Spoon batter into the tin
I sliced an extra banana to decorate the top and sprinkled with flaked coconut and a little sprinkle of cinnamon.
Bake for 50 – 55 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool before turning out the loaf.
Keeps in the fridge covered for up to 1 week. (freezes well too)
I hope you enjoy this cake
It's a goody
Enjoy your weekend